1) I had just moved from LA to Northern CA. In LA I'd been class president, sat next to the prettiest girl in class, and I had friends. In Northern CA we lived in the country.
2) There were no kids near me to make friends with before school started, and the testosterone surge my body experienced made me balloon up to a nice hefty weight.
3) When school started not only was I the new kid, I was the fat kid.
4) My sister started growing her nails out (with mom's permission) and had a permanent advantage in all of our scuffles. I still have the scars.
5) I discovered that I could escape into books and all my problems would go away.
10 Years ago (age almost 21)
1) I had fallen in love with a pretty girl who understood me, and liked me for all my foibles.
2) I had many friends in my fraternity, who stood behind me and made me feel valued.
3) I was working for Penn State while taking time off from school to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.
4) I had an office, a secretary and a university car.
5) Although I didn't know it, I'd taken the first steps towards what would become a most unexpected career.
5 years ago (age almost 26):
1) I'd just moved to Boston.
2) I had no friends here other than the poor sucker who moved here with me. Asking him to come along would turn out to be one of the best decisions I ever made in my life.
3) I was working for a company that was taking advantage of me in an almost unbelievable (in hindsight) way.
4) I was VERY lonely.
5) I was VERY poor.
1 year ago (age almost 30):
1) Last night I graduated from the Asylum Training Program and was on top of the world because so many of my friends came out to see me.
2) I was getting ready to audition for the Touring Company.
3) I was contemplating going to Nepal for a vacation.
4) I had just been reassured by my company (in the form of a $2500 bonus on top of annual bonuses) that I was an important part of my company.
5) I was unaware that I was a carrier for a genetic disease (don't worry, it's not contagious).